Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Cancer Progression

 When I first learned that I had cancer my whole body went into shock. March 22, 2017 and my mind was racing. I had been feeling something under my left arm pit for some time and it was only when my father went into ICU because of his cancer that I asked his doctor to look at me too. The expression on his face literally made my body go cold. He urged me to have the clinic I was using at the time. Virginia B Andes to arrange for biopsy and mammograms'. At that time one of their volunteers was also a cancer survivor and she made all the referral arrangements for me. She had been through it and knew the severity of dealing with cancer. When I received all the tests back it was confirmed that I did indeed have cancer. I notified my fathers doctor and had a meeting with him. Dr Percente then introduced me to a Doctor Kilek at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. My family and I had a meeting with this doctor and after all the information was presented it was determined that a mastectomy was the best solution. At least one would think so. A port was installed in preparation for chemo treatment. However after one treatment my body began to bleed in a variety of locations and chemo was stopped. After that I went on with life to some degree however no one informed at least to my knowledge that the port needed to be maintained. And unfortunately because of that lapse in information the Port caused a serious infection which included Sepsis where my leg and collar bone swelled up and tumor in my spine which if I had wait any longer then I did would have either killed me or paralyzeId me permanently. So Emergency Spinal Surgery was done and I spent the next 3 weeks in the Fawcette Medical in port Charlotte. However because of the time it was taking to heal from sepsis they needed to put a pick line into me. the procedure for this triggered a major anxiety attack because the length of of the pick line that need to be done through the right arm. This. pick line was essential to help my body clean the infection that was still circulating through out my blood for an additional 6 weeks at home. Once this was completed I notified Moffitt or the circumstances and began regular check ups regarding cancer treatment. 

Unfortunately I was coughing one again and tests again confirmed I had lesions in the lungs and in my spine. We tried many drugs which worked for a short time but didn't stop the cancer growth.  My back pain continued and because of the cancer being in my spine my ability for standing and bending had gotten worse and was preventing me from taking care of my basic needs. Radiation treatment was done to attack the cancer this turned out to be a double edge sword because it had made the bones in the area subject to cracking. Another spinal procedure was suggested because certain areas of the spine had deteriorated because of the cancer so a special type of cement was going to be used to enforce the weakened area which was putting pressure on my lower back. Dr. Tran was the main surgeon for this procedure. Pictured




 

No comments:

Post a Comment